Monday, April 02, 2007

THAILAND!!!!!!

Josh and Al, big idiots around the world.


Grand Palace, Bangkok

Josh and I had a wonderful journey to Thailand, I just woke up from a nap recovering from all of our adventures. We both fell in love with the country, causing us to dread our return to Japan and think of ways to remain in the country. In my case, I think I will have to talk my family into spending Christmas in Thailand.

Day 1
Josh and I flew out of Osaka Sunday afternoon. We made our plans for the week on the flight. We made several goals.
1- ride elephants
2- see kickboxing
3- get massages
Other than this, we had no idea where we were going. We found a bus from the Bangkok airport to Khao San Road, a hippie, ex-pat hangout where my friend Cecy planned to meet us. Thankfully, she was there and had made a hotel reservation for us. Hooray! Together, with her Indian but living in the land of Thai, friend Ronny, we got some dinner and went to a few bars. We ate dinner at a table on the street. Meanwhile, a pair of hippie-looking kids entertained us playing accordion and violin as part of a traveling circus.


Riding Elephants, Chiang Mai
Muay Thai Kickboxing school!

Thai Cooking Class
Wat Doi Suthep, North of Chiang Mai

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 11, 2007, Blogger Thomas Bradford Newhall said...

So, I got alternated for JET despite my interview fiasco. A few more months in JET Limbo, but whatever.

Glad to hear you had a good time in Thailand. Any decision on Grad school?

 
At Wednesday, April 11, 2007, Blogger aburke said...

Grad school, still debating between Indy and Ohio. I got waitlisted at Northwestern but have decided that it costs too much even if I make it in. Recently, Indy moved up to 16th in US News & World report ranking, but OSU slipped to 42nd. So that may influence my decision. I think IU would give a better education, but I think I would like the lifestyle and city of Columbus better.

Alternate at least doesn't mean you're totatally out! I don't think I ever heard the full story of your interview fiasco. Do you have a backup plan in case you don't make it off the alternate list? If you're heart's set on Japan you could look independently for jobs. There are a lot of companies hiring English speakers. The biggest concern though is making sure that they will sponsor you for a visa though. Look at places like the YMCA, any possible sister city programs, etc. be creative in your search.

Good luck and keep me posted!
Allison

 
At Monday, April 16, 2007, Blogger Josh Bisker said...

I bet somewhere someone in the State department is sitting in a chair with his face in his hands, being reprimanded for allowing our level of idiocy to be unleashed upon such an unsuspecting world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home